PHOTO FEATURE | 44 IMAGES
Singapore celebrates its 53rd birthday on 9th August 2018 with the an amazing National Day Parade at The Float@Marina Bay. The show this year include some firsts in the form of Republic of Singapore Navy divers performing a combat jump into the Marina Bay waters and all time crowd favorite, the Red Lions flew in wingsuits from 3800m before opening their signature red and white chutes. Celebrating it’s 50th Year Anniversary, the Republic of Singapore Air Force performed a massive fly past and an impressive aerial display.
The theme for this year, “We Are Singapore”, celebrates our people, our nation and our home. A pledge of unity and togetherness among our diverse cultures, “We” in this year’s theme emphasises the collective, where regardless of our origins and wherever we are, Singapore is our way of life and will always be our home. “We Are Singapore” defines the Singapore Spirit, invoking the strength and resilience which built Singapore and empowers Singaporeans to overcome future challenges and adversities together. It reminds us that we will collectively shape and be responsible for Singapore’s future.
Following are pictures captured around the Marina Bay area from the rehearsals in June 2018 up to the actual National Day Parade 2018.
01. A girl waves the Singapore Flag amidst a sea of flags.
02. One of the many T-Shirt designs worn by students at one of the National Education Shows.
03. High above Marina Bay watching over the parade is the RSAF Heron 1 UAV.
04. For the first time in NDP, 8 divers from the Naval Diving Unit performs a combat jump from a RSAF AS332M Super Puma helicopter a 1800m.
05. Close up view of a diver carrying gear weighing 50kg and wearing dive fins.
06. Two divers land into the waters around the Marina Bay floating platform.
07. Red Lions deploying from a RSAF C-130H Hercules aircraft at 3800m performing a wingsuit jump.
08. Red Lions fly into Marina Bay area in their wingsuits from 3800m trailing red smoke.
09. Two Red Lions with parachutes deployed comes in to land at the Floating Platform.
10. Guard of Honour Colours RSM uncasing one of the many SAF Regimental Colours at the Singapore Flyer.
11. Regimental Colours of the Guards Formation.
12. Regimental Colours of the Republic of Singapore Air Force.
13. Nestled within the crowd, Parade Regimental Sergeant Major MWO Tay Ban Heng kicks of the Parade and Ceremony segment.
14. Parade Commander LTC Shawn Ingkiriwang.
15. A member of the 25000 strong audience holds up the “We Are Singapore” placard.
16. State flag fly past helicopters consisting of one RSAF CH-47D Chinook and two AH-6D Longbow Apaches enroute to the Floating Platform.
17. Crowd gathered near the Jubilee Bridge as the flag passes.
18. Everybody in the crowd at Esplanade waterfront tries to get a photo or video of the state flag fly past.
19. State flag fly past the parade as the National Anthem is being played.
20. Visitors to the Marina Bay Sands Skypark views the state flag fly past from a high angle.
21. Bomb burst performed by five F-15SG Strike Eagles from RSAF 142 Squadron.
22. Traditional 21-gun salute by 25 pounder howitzers.
23. RSAF Guard of Honour performs the “feu-de-joie”
24. RSAF Helicopter Formation fly past the parade to begin the aerial display segment.
25. RSAF Helicopter formation as viewed from the Marina Bay Sands Skypark.
26. Transport formation of a C-130H Hercules flanked by two Fokker 50 Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
27. KC-135R Stratotanker escorted by to F-16C Vipers followed by a Gulfstream G550 CAEWS.
28. Completing the aerial fly past are six F-15SG Strike Eagles in delta formation.
29. A young girl mesmerised by the RSAF aerial display.
30. Two RSAF F-16C Vipers draws a heart in the sky with white smoke.
31. Crowd at Esplanade waterfront being wowed by the heart drawn on the sky.
32. RSAF50 Special Livery F-15SG Strike Eagle performs a High-G turn followed by a vertical climb in full afterburners as a finale to the aerial display.
33. Guard of Honour prepares to march past the parade.
34. Parade Commander LTC Shawn Ingkiriwang leads the Colours Party as they march past the Floating Platform.
35. Front view as the Guard of Honour contingents march past the floating platform.
36. Joanna Dong kicks off the show segment of NDP2018.
37. Spectators switch on their light bubbles as the night falls.
38. Giant balls being passed down from the top of the spectator stands.
39. Audience participating in the placard segment of the show.
40. Selfie moments galore as the first fireworks starts bursting.
41. Fireworks visible from Fullerton Hotel.
42. Finale fireworks as the floating platform sings to NDP songs.
43. Fireworks as viewed from Gardens by the Bay East.
44. The Grand Finale featured a symbolic moment of unity and a call to action as everyone present recites the Pledge and sing the National Anthem.