PHOTO FEATURE | 40 IMAGES
Singapore celebrates its 52nd birthday today with a spectacular National Day Parade at The Float@Marina Bay. The show this year include a dynamic defence display segment where the armed forces showed their hardware and capabilities, the usual parade and ceremony segment, some stage performance acts and the favourite grand finale fireworks show which draws a crowd of 150000 to the Marina Bay Waterfront.
The theme for this year is “#OneNationTogether”, a rallying call to unite all Singaporeans to stand together and overcome all odds together. ‘One Nation’ is to remind Singaporeans that regardless of origin and background, we belong as one people and one nation. It encourages Singaporeans to harness our diversity and to leave no one behind as we strive towards an even brighter future. ‘Together’ emphasises the importance of unity in times of uncertainty and challenges ahead and represents a call-to-action for all Singaporeans to overcome the odds together. Do check out the Official NDP2017 Site for more information on the theme and the NDP2017 Logo which you see on all the images below.
1. Kicking off the show is the performance by the SAF Red Lions parachute team jumping from a AS332M Super Puma helicopter above the Marina Bay.
2. Members of the Red Lions team waves to the crowd after they have landed on the Floating Platform.
3. 500 Motivators from the Touch Community Services hyped up the spectators through out the show.
4. Otters from the Bishan Family joined in the celebrations at the Esplanade Theatres waterfront.
5. Two F-15SG Strike Eagles of the RSAF performs a shackle cross at show center to start the Dynamic Defence Display segment of the show.
6. Massive vapour trails form on the wings of a F-15SG as it performs a 360 degree high-g turn.
7. A F-15SG Strike Eagle from 142 Squadron exits the show in full afterburners after it’s performance.
8. One of two AH-64D Apache Longbows from 120 Squadron swoops into the bay area.
9. Crowd at Marina Bay Sands Skypark where treated to a great show as the AH-64D Apache Longbow crosses their cameras.
10. A CH-47D Chinook of 127 Squadron prepares to insert Navy Divers as it flies pass the Merlion bathed in golden light from the setting sun.
11. Rainbow formed due to the water spray created by the powerful rotors of the CH-47D Chinook as it descends for insertion.
12. Navy Divers inserting into the water from the CH-47D Chinook’s ramp.
13. Navy Combatant Craft Medium with troopers.
14. Navy Special Forces trooper on the Combatant Craft Medium.
15. Leopard 2 Armoured Engineer Vehicle crashes a water barrier in front of the spectators as part of the Dynamic Defence Display show.
16. Infantryman from the Singapore Armed Forces in action within the spectator stands.
17. Parade Commander, Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) (NS) Lim Wee Tee of the 821st Battalion, Singapore Infantry Regiment (SIR).
18. RSAF CH-47D Chinook escorted by 2 AH-64D Apache Longbows flies the massive state flag as the National Anthem is being sang.
19. The state flag flies pass part of the 150000 strong crowd around the Marina Waterfront as it enters the show centre.
20. National Anthem and the State Flag flypass.
21. Five F-15SG Strike Eagles from 149 Squadron flies in formation to perform the Salute to the Nation bomb burst.
22. Five F-15SG Strike Eagles from 149 Squadron breaks as they performs the bomb burst maneuver.
23. A single F-15SG passes the moon after the Salute to the Nation.
24. Lead aircraft of the bomb burst flown by Commanding Officer 149 Squadron, SLTC Goh Sim Aik and WSO CPT Desmond Tan in is this special 149SQN airbrake livery F-15SG.
25. Salute to the Nation by five Republic of Singapore Air Force F-15SG and Guard of Honor contingent.
26. A 25-pounder howitzer fires during the 21-Gun Presidential Gun Salute.
27. President Tony Tan Keng Yam and Chief of Defence Force LG Perry Lim.
28. Each member of the Guard of Honor contingent fires three rounds each for the the Feu-de-Joie.
29. Parade prepares for the march pass.
30. State Colours and Regimental Colours parties march pass lead by Parade Commander LTC (NS) Lim Wee Tee.
31. Parade Commander LTC (NS) Lim Wee Tee leads the Colours Party and Guard of Honor contingents comprising of the Army, Navy, Air Force and the Police Force.
32. Army Guard of Honor contingent formed by the Best Combat Unit 2017 – 1st Commando Battalion.
33. Red Cross contingent members march up the spectator stands.
34. Special Forces trooper in action during the second Dynamic Display Segment.
35. Santha Bhaskar entertains on an elevated pedestal in Act 4 of the show – Celebrating Together.
36. Merlion floating in the air performed by 300 unmanned drones controlled from a single computer using specialised software that lets the team create formations ahead of the show.
37. Finale of Act 6 : #OneNationTogether as all participants and spectators recite the National Pledge together.
38. Fireworks as viewed from the Marina Bay Sands.
39. Fireworks from the Esplanade Waterfront.
40. Grand Finale as spectators sing to a medley of NDP songs while fireworks goes off in the Marina Bay.